Sunday, November 22, 2009

pre-thanksgiving party!

I hope everyone had a good week! I've been really busy these past few days so there was not a lot of cooking going on...some take-out, some frozen dinners, etc. I had a midterm for my SOC weekend class today that was really easy, but I poured some time into studying for it, as well as the CSC exam, so I was excited to finally get cooking some yummy food!

I threw a house party last night, and because it was my house, I made all the snacks vegan! Overall I got rave reviews on everything, although I wasn't too thrilled with my pumpkin pie. I served up the following snacks:

Vegan Ranch Dip
1 container Vegenaise
1 container Tofutti sour cream
2 tbsps silken tofu (although you could use a firm)
2 tsps Adobo seasoning
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp dried parsley
1/4 c. water

Place all ingredients into a blender, streaming in the water to desired consistency. This came out really well, I think I like this more than some of the bottled ranches I've had pre-vegan! I like it a little thicker as a dip and served it with some organic kettle potato chips. This was a REAL crowd pleaser!

Smooth Salsa
8-12 plum tomatoes (see below)
1 large red onion (or two smaller ones, could also go with Spanish)
2 limes (juice and zest)
Salt, Pepper, and Hot Sauce to taste

Place all ingredients into a bowl and blend, or progressively through a blender. I have an immersion blender (handheld) that is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets, I highly recommend it. It goes right up there with my microplane zester! I don't use cilantro or garlic in this as 1) there was garlic in the two types of hummus I shared, 2) I feel the onion flavor is almost similar, & 3) a lot of people just don't like cilantro. I start with 8 tomatoes and add some to work with the flavoring, depending on if I feel it is too spicy from the hot sauce. I made mine what I would consider to be "medium". I really like the blended salsa because it works so well with any type of chips, I used Tostitos Scoops, and is a nice change from a regular pico de gallo that you see pretty much everywhere.

Vegan Pumpkin Pie
1 15oz can pumpkin pie puree
3/4 c. sugar (as needed, see below)
1 1/2 tsps. pumpkin pie spice (cloves, cinnamon, etc.)
12 oz. silken tofu, blended to smooth consistency
Frozen pie shell

Thaw pie shell. I used a can mix that was already sweetened (but I added about 1/4 c. sugar) and already seasoned (but I added at least 1 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice) to suit it to my tastes. I like a flavorful pie, what can I say! I blended the pumpkin, seasoning, sugar, and pureed silken tofu in the Kitchenaid and poured it into the pie shell. I baked it at first for 15 minutes at 425 and then 45 mins at 350. It wasn't done (still not close to firm) so I continued to bake for another 15 minutes. I allowed it to cool for about 6 hours and served with some whipped topping -- I can't remember the brand but I found one that had no HFCS or trans fats and it was delicious. However, I found the pie to be mushy in texture. I read through several different vegan pumpkin pie recipes and was so excited to use tofu as a protein boost in dessert, but I was dissapointed. It was gone, though!

As stated earlier, I also served two types of hummus, a spinach artichoke and a roasted pine nut. I feel like hummus is always a crowd pleaser! I also bought a huge bag of pretzel chips, which are very popular among my friends. They always enjoy dipping them in cream cheese, so I put out some Tofutti cream cheese into a bowl and no one knew the difference. Or at least, they didn't bother saying anything to me and continued to eat it. :)

1 comment:

  1. aww, i'm really sorry i missed that!
    we need to cook together. i've been suffering from a need to cook since leaving for JMU in august. hahahaha~

    ReplyDelete