Monday, November 23, 2009

rainy day, great bowl of food is necessary!


I really like a hot bowl of something to curl up with on a rainy day. I've made a bunch of soups as of late (sorry they haven't been posted here, I'll eventually re-make them including my Faux Zuppa Toscana, Super Smoky Chili, and Creamy Roasted Vegetable) so I decided to stray away from that. I didn't really have a great day so I wanted to make something I really enjoy. I like pasta, as do many vegans, so I'm doing that tonight! I even remembered to take a picture this time.

Rustic Sauce
1 large onion (I used mayan sweet)
4 cloves garlic (sounds like a lot, they were small)
1 15oz can artichoke hearts, diced (and jus)
3 plum tomatoes, diced
3/4 c. white wine (or veg stock)
small handful parsley, chopped
salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste

Saute the onion and garlic in a few tbsps of EVOO to sweat over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes. Add the artichoke hearts and tomatoes and allow to saute for about 5 minutes, adjusting heat to medium. Add salt, pepper, and red pepper. When sauce becomes dry, add the wine and artichoke jus. Allow to reduce for about half an hour while you cook your pasta, or til desired sauce consistency. Top with parsley just before serving. Season again to taste. I served it with ww macaroni (didn't have anything else!) and it was delicious. I like the almost pickle-like flavor of the artichokes and the peppery zip. This does make enough for tomorrow's lunch as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment