tuesdays are usually my nights off from everything, but i covered robert's shift at hot topic. it actually went very well, we had some great sales! because i jumped from class to lab to work, i went to subway and got a veggie sub for dinner. it really was pretty good...
last night i made mama pea's zucchini quinoa casserole. this is the second time i have made it and it was even better! i love the softness of the zucchini as well as the zesty taste and texture from the quinoa. it's quite a great combination. i really think omni's would enjoy it. the only modification i have made is that (because i have been without an 8x8 up until today) i have made it in a longer and narrower pan.
i'm watching fight club right now. i've never seen it before. i'm actually really intrigued with it. except i won't watch the whole thing tonight as i know i should sleep, which is a shame because i'm already a little absorbed.
here's a survey from keri and andrea that i'm copying! i totally agree with andrea that this definitely made me think of myspace. i think the nostalgia encouraged me to complete it though!
1. What is one food you thought you’d miss when you went vegan, but don’t?
i don't miss beef at all. i thought i would, because even though i never ate it often, i'd always found steak delicious. i very seldom crave beef though. conversely, the one food i didn't think i'd miss when vegan, but do, is bacon. i didn't eat bacon very often when i was an omni, but its perfect saltiness and chewiness is something that is hardly matched by any vegan alternative. i've tried making tempeh and all sorts of mock meats and nothing is nearly as good. :[
2. What is a food or dish you wouldn’t touch as a child, but enjoy now?
3. What vegan dish or food you feel like you should like, but don’t?
daiya cheese. I've tried it so many times. I don't think it melts very well. I don't think it becomes creamy. and I think it has an awkward tapioca aftertaste that lacks the saltiness and texture of cheese. I've used the cheddar and melted it in a sauce for mac & cheese, and it does work okay, but i'm not wild about the taste.
4. What beverage do you consume the most of on any given day?
i drink a good amount of water, other than that, i like so delicious coconut milk, or iced tea.
5. What dish are you famous for making or bringing to gatherings?
i don't have a new go-to vegan dish. i guess it was usually brownies when i was omni, and although i've made lots of vegan brownies, one hasn't stuck out to me. i should look to evan, though, as i know he has many recipes that would make that happen. i'm now remembering that i bring lots of cupcakes places. i've made chocolate and fruit-based varieties often.
6. Do you have any self-imposed food rules (like no food touching on the plate or no nuts in sweets)?
i'm the opposite of andrea! i need everything on a plate to be finished at the same time. that's about it though. i also love sauces and dislike anything that is obnoxiously dry.
7. What’s one food or dish you tend to eat too much of when you have it in your home?
bread. i love baguettes or any variety of french/italian bread. i dip in olive oil that is sprinkled with crushed black pepper and red pepper. yummmm.
8. What ingredient or food do you prefer to make yourself despite it being widely available prepackaged?
couldn't think of anything.
9. What ingredient or food is worth spending the extra money to get the good stuff?
organic ketchup! not that much more, but it's fantastic. i also like gardein products, that are expensive but delicious nonetheless. the scallopini are fantastic.
10. Are you much of a snacker? What are your favorite snacks?
cliff bars, smoothies, crackers, hummus, and the aforementioned baguette.
11. What are your favorite vegan pizza toppings?
i've only had vegan pizza two or three times. i don't love it (see daiya).
12. What is your favorite vegetable? Fruit?
kale and broccoli are up there. tomatoes and bananas are better! surprisingly, i probably eat the fewest vegetables of any vegan that is reading this. or even some omnis. i eat a lot of pasta dishes and legume-based dishes.
13. What is the best salad dressing?
greek vinaigrette dressing from wegmans. maybe hands down the best vegan or non-vegan dressing i've ever had.
14. What is your favorite thing to put on toasted bread?
earth balance! although i realized it's quite high in fat, so i've attempted to substitute it for jams.
15. What kind of soup do you most often turn to on a chilly day or when you aren’t feeling your best?
i made a KILLER cocoa coconut chili from eat, drink, & be vegan. that's not the blog/book of the author, but the recipe is there. you will love it. i find soup so warm and comforting. i also like panera's black bean!
16. What is your favorite cupcake flavor? Frosting flavor?
17. What is your favorite kind of cookie?
oatmeal chocolate chip. i love the ones from potbelly's, and i have since made them vegan.
18. What is your most-loved weeknight meal?
gardein scallopini over cappelini. definitely easy and so delicious.
19. What is one dish or food you enjoy, but can’t get anyone else in your household to eat?
my parents and brother are pretty impressed and attempt to try anything i make, most of the time. i think they've been scared of kale, at least my mom has. oh well. haha.
20. Favorite non-dairy milk?
so delicious coconut original! it's weird, i find myself one of the few vegans that can drink an already sweetened non-dairy milk and enjoy it. oh well, i like the flavor.
21. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
i attempted to make tiramisu waffles after being inspired by isa chandra tweet about testing them, and they weren't very great. they just tasted too plain. i like things flavorful and bold.
22. Favorite pickled item?
23. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
gardein scallopini, baguette, and chocolate!
24. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
i used to eat tater tots and fish sticks very often. or spaghetti and meatballs. very classic american. i also ate matzo ball soup and challah on friday nights, from my jewish culture!
25. Favorite vegan ice cream?
so delicious turtle trails! i love salty/sweet in anything, it might be my favorite flavor combination.26. Most loved kitchen appliance?
microplane zester, immersion blender, and smoothie blender are way up there.
27. Spice/herb you would die without?
SALT. also: cinnamon, basil (fresh), and vanilla extract.
28. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
29. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
i've made a lot of soups and they tend to go over well.
30. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
31. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
BRUNCH. i love it.
32. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
frozen strawberries, gardein scallopini, and frozen bananas.
33. What’s on your grocery list?
34. Favorite grocery store?
WEGMANS. anyone who knows me, knows that i love wegmans. then whole foods. then trader jose's.
35. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
36. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
mama pea, the wanna be chef, and oh she glows! i'd say i love the recipes from happy herbivore and isa chandra though, although they don't blog often.
37. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
chocolateeee in many ways.
38. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
hmmm. no idea.
FIGHT CLUB IS SO GOOD. i can't stop watching it. but i'll attempt to. night!