Monday, March 7, 2011

AFR: Curry Laksa

I made this recipe last week but wanted to post about it after I had actually finished its leftovers and that didn't happen until lunch today.


Doesn't that bowl look so flavorful? The combination of textures and spices works harmoniously. Red curry paste works wonders, as I said after making the Red Thai Tofu, and it gives a rich color plus depth to the dish. Aromatic ginger, onion, and garlic lend great flavor and scent. My favorite part had to be the bok choy, though. I don't believe I have ever had bok choy. Now, it was probably in some form in a stir fry or other asian dish I have ordered before, but I have never purchased it and combined it in a dish, although I've seen it used in many cooking shows. It was magnificent. The diced bok choy absorb all the flavor and tasted so good when cooked (as Isa advises) and are braised to perfection. I LOVED the flavor and could not get enough bok choy. The leaves are gently wilted by the broth and provide nice texture.

The tofu was so-so. The method in which they were prepared did not lend much to the dish. I enjoy tofu best when it takes on other flavors, not when it tastes like tofu. The noodles were medicore. I've never cooked with rice noodles before, and I'm not quite sure if I either undercooked or overcooked them, but this dish would have been just as good (if not better) over some brown rice. Overall, a great dish with some drawbacks. Leftover, the noodles were extremely soggy and did not reheat well. Oddly enough, even after 2 days in the refrigerator, the tofu neglected to absorb additional flavor. Stubborn tofu! ASSHOLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment