Saturday, March 12, 2011

Turning a side dish into a dessert!

The reason I haven't been posting often, or making AFR recipes as often, is because I've been recipe testing for the next Happy Herbivore cookbook. I've been a huge fan of the first book and was excited to meet Lindsay last month at a brunch meetup in DC. She recently asked me to join a group of testers for her new book and I couldn't say no! I prepared eight recipes last week and several were beyond stellar. I can't wait until she debuts the new book!

Above is just one of many easy and healthy everyday meals I've made! I served the entree with its appropriate sauce, an easy cold salad side, and then some mashed sweet potatoes. I quickly threw together the mashed sweets by cutting them into a small dice and throwing them into boiling water -- they cooked in about 15 minutes! I simply mashed them with a splash of non-dairy milk and added salt and pepper when serving.

I'm not one to miss out on dessert. I love something sweet. Most of the time I use dessert as an incentive to cleaning up the kitchen, but while I was about to scoop the leftover mashed sweets into a container, I thought I should whip up a quick dessert and take advantage of something already cooked!


Sweet Potatoes Turned Dessert
1/2 c. cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp pecans, roughly chopped
cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt to taste
non-dairy milk
10 Dandies marshmallow

Stir together the sweet potatoes, most of the brown sugar, pecans, and spices together in a microwave safe bowl. You may want to mash all of your sweets if you left them somewhat chunky. Add in non-dairy milk as needed to achieve desired consistency (just a splash or so). Top with Dandies on top and then a sprinkle of brown sugar and cinnamon. Microwave for 1 minute, watching the Dandies closely. You'll want them mostly melted through. Allow to cool slightly, then enjoy a revamped version of sweet potato casserole that you threw together in minutes.

I purchased Dandies a few weeks ago when they were on sale at Whole Foods. I thought they tasted very dense and awkward on their own, but when cooked, they taste exactly the same as regular marshmallows!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, great use of leftover! I love sweet and savory and this is a nice combo. I really need to try Dandies. I buy Sweet and Sara marshmallows and keep them in my refrigerator (I quickly melt them between 2 pieces of dark chocolate for a quick, sweet bite post-dinner) I'll have to see if my local Whole Foods has Dandies.

    Love this: "Google Reader really is my BFF." MINE TOO! I use it for my blogroll (you're on it!) and I have so many sub-sections and tags it keeps my blog reading and recipe collection in some semblance of order!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! That's so exciting that you get to test for Lindsay! :) Also, sweet potatoes make perfect dessert, especially with vegan marshmallows. I made a casserole once with those Dandies marshmallows and they brown so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete