Friday, April 15, 2011

SB Review: Breakfast Bake

The Cookbook Club I participate in moved on to a new book:


This is a book I've had my eye on for months now. I've always seen it on display at bookstores and cracked it open to see what was going on. At first glance, many of the recipe ideas seem innovative and very filling sounding. I like Kim Barnouin's style after reading Skinny Bastard so knew I would give this a try, not to mention a good excuse to buy a new cookbook.

When I really got down to reading the recipes, I noticed that so many had several grams of fat and hefty calorie counts. This doesn't bother me immensely in cookbooks, except Skinny Bitch has a theme for being "great for your bod". I don't think recipes with significant added fat really have a place in this book. I've learned an entirely new way of cooking thanks to The Happy Herbivore that is entirely no-fat added cooking.

I made the Breakfast Bake from SB last weekend. I used GimmeLean sausage and Daiya cheddar shreds. I thought it was okay tasting, just extremely greasy. 2 tbsps of added oil to cook some vegetables is just way too much. Perhaps it was a typo from 2 tsps? My main complaint would be that the recipe was underwhelming. Typically this would be mixed with eggs as a typical brunch dish and I just felt as though the recipe left something to be desired. I expect some sort of mixture to encompass all of the other ingredients and really bring them together, and it never really happened.

How interested are you in fat-free cooking?

4 comments:

  1. I'm not participating in this cookbook only because I wanted to keep going with AFR. But now I've heard from several people about the added fat and sugar, so I don't think I'll buy this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably a good decision. I only bookmarked 10 recipes in the entire book that I was excited to make (many were too complex in terms of techniques, time, or ingredients, and I think of myself as a fairly advanced cook lol...) so I will probably return the book when I finish next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not super interested in fat-free cooking, though I often cook with little to no *added* oil. For instance, if a recipe calls for 2 Tbsp oil for sauteeing, I'll generally use just 1 Tbsp or less, then add a splash of water if the veggies or whatever start sticking to the pan from lack of oil. Fats are essential for good health, but of course the fat from *whole foods* is best (like avocado, hemp seeds, nuts, etc.), as opposed to *added* fats like oils.

    Anyway - I have this book & I like it, but I certainly understand your frustrations. I think the recipes are good, but perhaps the title should have been something different than "Skinny Bitch," since it's definitely not a low calorie/low fat book. I think the title is confusing, anyway, because there's the "Skinny Bitch" book, the "Skinny Bitch in the Kitch" cookbook, and now THIS "Skinny Bitch" cookbook. Too much Skinny Bitchin' going on! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess -- agreed, I am definitely in the same boat as you with emphasizing the "whole" fats over "added" ones. The recipes in the book are certainly very creative but I've gathered that they aren't really low fat/calorie either, which makes me wonder about considering this an everyday/lifestyle book for someone looking to lose or maintain weight loss. I haven't cooked very much from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch, although I do own it, I think...

    ReplyDelete